@jxllnlw

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Mr Lee Kuan Yew: 1923 - 2015


(source: therealsingapore.com)

There are many reasons why Mr Lee Kuan Yew should be honored and remembered as one of the founding Fathers of Singapore. There is no need for me to pretend that I know of all his doings and achievements for Singapore, nor do I need to Google it to pretend that I know for the sake of putting it out here. Truth be told, I was never really a politics person and unfortunately enough, I know peanuts about politics.

Following the matter on a very disrespectful Amos Yee though, there are certainly a handful of Singaporeans who disagree with Mr Lee's/PAP's views; not understanding the various reasons behind his decisions. I too am not able to fully comprehend everything he has done for us. But even so, for someone who has put his life into moulding Singapore to what She is today, I am certain that his decisions are made out of his best interests and concern for his people. Although it is a given that everyone is entitled to freedom of speech and Mr Amos is undoubtedly an eloquent speaker with his own opinions (which he also happens to be entitled to), disrespecting the man who has developed Singapore from a little fishing village is simply just, well, disrespectful. Ultimately my stand is a rather neutral one because honestly I do not give a fuck but I just felt that I had to put it out here because "if you got nothing nice to say then don't say." I am not in support of Mr Amos nor his video and am actually quite taken aback by it (I also think Mr Amos is rude as fuck) but I suppose his argument would have been a better one if it were more thought through and unbiased. Of course, this is just my two-cents worth of an opinion and my take on the issue, but I guess you get the point.

However, even with all that being said, it is still a shame how little I know of Mr Lee, only reading up on all that he has done for Singapore when he has already moved on to a better place. It is disheartening that a great leader has left us and how much truth in which the phrase "people say you don't know what you've got until it's gone. Truth is, you knew what you had, you just never thought you'd lose it" holds for most Singaporeans today. It is an eye-opener and showcase of true Singapore spirit though, that about 1.2 million (stats from The Straits Times) Singaporeans were willing to queue up day and night for those tedious hours straight just to pay their last respects to Mr Lee. A few days ago I was scrolling through my Twitter feed and came across a really good tweet on how Singaporeans like to queue for many things, but queuing to see Mr Lee one last time is the most meaningful of all - and it's true! It definitely is the most meaningful of all.

Hence, out of respect and honor of our nation's late Father, my cousins and I have decided on saying our last goodbyes too. None of us went down to the Parliament House but I guess the decision to head to a community tribute site isn't too bad either.

So thank you, Mr Lee, for all that you have done for this little red dot, this Lion City. 50 years ago you wept for Singapore, but 50 years from then, Singapore weeps for you. Today, your people weep for you. May you always watch over us from above, forever our Father, Mr Lee.

No comments: